2021 Car Week: Monterey Zoo
Time & Location
About the Event
Club members will meet in Monterey and drive to the Monetey Zoo where we will enjoy a self guided tour among the big cats, elephants, and many other exotic animals the zoo has on display.
Afterwards we'll have a picnic lunch at the zoo followed by a casual drive on scenic River Road, crossing the Historic Chular Bridge, over the Salinas River to Highway 101, and continue to Monterey arriving around 4PM in time for all the evening car activities.
- 9:30AM Gather in Monterey with access to a nice no-host bakery.
- 10:00AM Caravan to the Monterey Zoo.
- 10:45AM Arrive at the zoo.
- 11:00 - 1:00PM Self guided zoo tour.
- 1PM Picnic lunch provided by the zoo (email carweek2021@amoc-org if you have dietary restrictions)
- 2:00PM Optional group caravan via a scenic route and the Histoic Chular Bridge
The Monterey Zoo is a unique zoological experience, centrally located off the Monterey-Salinas Highway. You will come closer to wild and exotic animals at Monterey Zoo than in most other zoos. Home to 100+ exotic animals ranging from spiders to African elephants, many of the zoo’s animals have extremely close and personal relationships with their handlers and trainers which they are able to share with visitors.
The Chular Bridge is an eight-span, pin-connected Pratt through truss bridge. As such, it is the largest multiple-span through truss bridge, particularly of its period of initial construction, in the central coast area of California. With a high degree of integrity, and representing a type, period, and method of construction, the Salinas River Bridge has been determined eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places, meeting Criterion C at the local level of significance.
- Zoo Tour & Lunch$52$520$0